The Hazelwood Heritage Society has for many years worked, and will continue to do so, to achieve recognition for Hazelwood House, highlighting the importance of Hazelwood as a part of our built heritage in the North West. The German architect Richard Cassells designed and supervised the building of the great house in 1731. It was to be the first Palladian Villa designed by him to be seen in Ireland. The design of Hazelwood became the prototype for other great houses built to his design here, including Leinster House, Powerscourt House and Bellinter House.
The Wynnes of Hazelwood HouseThe Hazelwood Wynnes originated from Wales claiming descent from a distinguished chieftain of the 12th century in Merionetshire. The first of the family to settle in Ireland was Owen Wynne who received a grant of lands in and around Lurganboy, and was succeeded in 1670 by his eldest son, Capt. James Wynne, who fought on the Williamite side at the siege of Derry, later at the Boyne.The Wynne family occupied Hazelwood House for three hundred years, during which time all the head's of the Wynne household, with only one exception, bore the name of Owen Wynne.
Hazelwood Heritage SocietyRowing ProjectHazelwood Heritage Society has been working on a project to research and record the history of competitive rowing on Lough Gill, 1840 to 1900. There were regattas on Lough Gill as far back as 1846.The material gathered will eventually be edited and compiled into a CD/DVD.
Hazelwood House An 18th-c Palladian style country house located in a 70 acre demesne in Calry parish 2 miles south-east of Sligo town in north-west Ireland. It consists of a 5-bay by 3-bay main block in 3-storeys with 2-storey wings on either side connected to the main block by single- storey quadrants. The building is constructed of limestone ashlar with slate roofs. The house, which originally stood in a wooded estate of 15,000 acres, was designed by architect Richard Cassels c.1730 for Lt-Gen. Owen Wynne, a descendant of the Welsh Wynne family from Merioneth. On his death in 1737, the estate passed to his nephew, also Owen Wynne (1686- 1755) who was an Army officer. He was succeeded by his son, a third Owen, who was High Sheriff of Sligo for 1723 and 1745.